They say abs are made in the kitchen, but the right exercises help sculpt them in the gym. For many people ab exercises can be an afterthought, throw in at the end of the work out with little rhyme or reason for the exercises selected. Fortunately, those days are over now that MS Bikini Olympia Champion and Cellucor athlete Janet Layug showed us her winning ab routine. Janet’s ab routine targets the core from all angles to help you sculpt the abs you’ve always wanted.
Janet’s Winning Ab Routine
Sets x Reps: 4 x 10
- In a plank position slide your knees up to your chest while engaging your core during the entire movement.
- If you don’t have sliders on hand, this can be performed while wearing socks or using paper towels.
- Engage your core.
- Lying in supine position start with the ball in your hands above your head
- As you move through the V-Up pass the ball from your hands to your feet
- Remember to breathe and tighten your core
- Try to keep your back as flat as possible.
- Engage your core
- A personal favorite of mine, these are a repeat in my ab routine
- Variations of your traditional plank, these can be performed from a beginner to advanced level targeting all core muscle groups
- Targets all core muscles
- Using a light weight, keep your heels off the ground and transfer your weight side to side
- Remember to keep your core tight as you perform the exercise
- Keep your core tight
Sets x Reps: 3 x 20 (1 rep each leg)