By Spencer Miller,
Protein Rice Krispie Treats with XTEND Pro for a high-protein twist. That’s right, high-protein rice krispie treats. These gooey treats will be a hit at your next party.
- 4 cups (150g) rice cereal
- 200g marshmallows (about 30 large/jumbo marshmallows, but better to weigh out)
- ¼ cup (56g) light butter*
- 3 scoops (96g) XTEND Pro, Vanilla Ice Cream
- Pinch salt
- ½ tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- ¼ cup (60g) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp (30mL) milk (any milk is fine)
- 1 scoop (32g) XTEND Pro, Chocolate Lava Cake
*Light butter can be found near the butter in most grocery stores. It is about 4g fat per tbsp compared to 10-11 of regular butter. Some brand names would be “Country Crock” or “I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter”
- Line a 5x9 baking dish or pan with parchment paper.
- Heat marshmallows and light butter in a large microwave safe bowl. Heat for 60 seconds, and then mix. Heat for another 30 seconds, or until melted enough to mix marshmallows and butter into one mixture.
- Add XTEND Pro, pinch salt, and vanilla extract to the melted marshmallow / butter mixture. In a large bowl, add rice cereal. Pour melted marshmallow mixture over top. Stir together until combined and sticky.
- Press into the prepared dish. Place in the fridge to begin firming up while you make the chocolate topping (optional).
- For chocolate topping, heat chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl for 60 seconds. Stir, and heat for another 30 seconds if needed to melt. Add milk and XTEND Pro and stir together until combined and a thick chocolate ganache consistency form.
- Spread chocolate over top of rice krispie treats. Place back in fridge for 15-20 minutes to chill and then cut into 8 bars and enjoy!
Yield: 8 rice krispie treats
Nutrition (without topping): 200 calories 12 protein, 33 carbs, 3 fat
Nutrition (with topping): 250 calories, 16 protein, 38 carbs, 5 fat