By: Spencer Miller (Macro Chef)
Delicious peanut butter cups filled with a creamy chocolate peanut butter protein filling make for the perfect, decadent and healthy peanut butter cup alternative. These peanut butter cups will create a rich and indulgent flavor that will satisfy your cravings without derailing your healthy eating habits. Best of all, this recipe is easy to make and can be customized to your liking with your favorite toppings or mix-ins. So, grab your ingredients and get ready to enjoy a guilt-free treat that is both delicious and nutritious!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Filling
- 2 scoops XTEND Pro Chocolate Lava Cake protein powder
- 1/2 cup natural, creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup peanut flour*
- 1/4-1/2 cup milk/water**
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cups dark chocolate chips/chunks
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 18 mini silicone muffin liners (or 9 regular size)***
*Peanut flour is basically defatted peanuts ground into a flour. It has the peanut butter taste, but with less fat and more protein! It can be found in the peanut butter aisle of most grocery stores.
**I used unsweetened almond milk. Start with 1/4 cup, and add more as needed to get a thick peanut butter filling consistency. Be careful not to add too much or the filling will be too runny.
***You can also use regular sized muffin liners and make 9 larger peanut butter cups rather than 18 smaller ones.
- Add dark chocolate chips and coconut oil in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 1 minute. Stir. Microwave for another 30 seconds. Stir again. If chocolate is not melted yet, continue microwaving for 30 second intervals until melted.
- Add about 1/2 tbsp melted chocolate to each of the silicone liners. Rotate it around on its side to spread the chocolate around the sides. You can also use a spoon to help spread the chocolate up onto the sides of the liner. Place in fridge to let chocolate harden.
- To make peanut butter filling, add peanut butter to a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for about 30 seconds to let melt. Add protein powder, peanut flour, milk, and salt. Mix everything really well until a thick peanut butter mixture is formed.
- Add about 2 tsp to 1 tbsp of peanut butter filling to each of the liners already filled with chocolate. Press peanut butter mixture down gently so that it is even and flat on the top.
- Add remaining melted chocolate to the top of each peanut butter cup to cover the peanut butter filling. It should be about another 1/2 tbsp for each one. Set back in the fridge to set for about 15-20 minutes and enjoy!
Nutrition per PB cup (out of 18)
- 160 calories
- 5 protein
- 13 carbs
- 10 fat