The holidays are full of fun, festivities and of course, food. This is an exciting and equally stressful time for many of us who want to let loose with family and friends without gaining weight.
We don't expect you to go to dinners and holiday parties without enjoying the food. But hopefully, these holiday fitness survival guidelines will allow you to indulge without going overboard.
Picture this: You have a few hours until your holiday party. Instead of eating beforehand, you decide to save room and calories for later. But when you get to the party, you're starving and eat everything in sight. Sound familiar?
A few hours before any event, try to eat a healthy meal even if that means fewer calories saved for later. Skipping meals makes it even harder to stay in control when you do finally get to eat. Or, on the flip side, if you can't have or don't want a full meal before an event, grab a light, healthy snack (almonds, whey protein, a protein bar, fruit, etc.) to hold you over so that you don't show up to the party starving.
The holiday season won't wreck your results if you put all that food to good use.
It’s a busy time, but this is one area where you shouldn’t compromise. Make your workouts a priority, but be flexible and efficient. Even a 30-minute workout is better than nothing.
As with anything, consistency is key. Make a promise that you won’t skip more than 2-3 days in a row of workouts during the holiday season, and hold yourself accountable to this.
This season is full of decadent, soul-warming comfort food, which is why you shouldn’t settle for mediocre!
When you indulge during the holidays, it should be on special items that only come around once a year. If you can buy them any other day, then let them go. They're just not worth it. Wouldn't you rather indulge in grandma's apple pie or cookies you bake with your family instead of wasting calories on pre-packaged food?
REMEMBER THE 80/20 RULE
One month or one day of flexibility shouldn't throw you off track. Be confident in the healthy habits you’ve adopted. Apply the 80/20 rule as a guideline throughout the season. Eat healthy 80% of the time so you can really indulge the other 20%.
That way when you have a few cookies, go back for seconds at the party or have an extra slice of holiday pie, you do so without hesitation or guilt.