Eating healthy at home is somehow easier than eating healthy when you're at the office. Whether you struggle to find healthy lunch options or you're bombarded with snacks and desserts in the break room, it can be difficult to rise above temptation day after day. But it isn't impossible to eat healthy at the office!
Preparation is key
Prepping your meals ahead of time is a major key in winning the war against unhealthy habits during work hours. Take a little extra time on Sunday afternoon to prep food for the week and it will pay dividends later.
- Prep your main protein source for the week (chicken, bison, beef, turkey, etc.) and portion it out into Tupperware containers
- Measure out and individually package things like fruits, veggies, nuts, seeds, etc. so all you have to do is grab it out of the fridge or cabinet in the morning and go
- If fridge space is problematic at the office, invest a few bucks in a decent portable lunch cooler to carry with you to work
- If you're on the go and don’t have a microwave to warm up your pre-prepped lunch, try this hack I picked up from bodybuilding and powerlifting great, Stan Efferding. Purchase a few large thermoses and all you need to do is heat the food up before you head out of the house and it will stay warm all day!
What if you have lunch plans?
Yes, I understand that in the corporate world, lunch time is often used for meetings with colleagues and clients.
If you know you have a lunch meeting,have a healthy snack or your pre-prepped meal beforehand or wait until you get back to the office.
If you do feel the need to eat during the lunch meeting, suggest a restaurant that has a few healthy options. If picking the place isn’t your decision, just make the best choice you can.
Be prepared for a snack attack
Some days mid-afternoon hunger is real but if you're prepared for it, the urge to snack doesn’t have to throw you off your game.
- Nut butters. There are a multitude of great options out there and some even come in individual packages.They last forever and will provide healthy fats to power you through the afternoon
- Protein shakes. Need a little extra boost of protein for the day? Keep a tub of Cor-Performance Whey in your desk. Grab a shaker, drop in a scoop of powder, add water, shake it up, and you are good to go.
- Grass-fed jerky can be a great way to fill in the gaps between meals. There are many great options available, just make sure to look for grass-fed jerky with as few additives as necessary.
- Fruits & veggies. Throw some fruits and veggies in storage bags and carry them with you in your cooler for a quick and healthy snack
Don’t sweat it
Perhaps the most important thing to remember when trying to make a change in your lifestyle and maintain healthy eating habits is realizing that having something “unhealthy” isn’t the end of the world. Don’t beat yourself up and let one choice spiral out of control. Pick yourself right back up and make a better choice the next meal.